Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has condemned the recent abduction of schoolchildren and teachers in Ogbomoso, Oyo State, alongside deadly attacks reported in Katsina State, arguing that the incidents reflect a worsening security situation and what he described as a breakdown in national leadership under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
In a statement released on Tuesday through his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku expressed sadness over the developments, particularly reports that one of the abducted teachers had been killed. He said the pattern of repeated attacks across the country shows that insecurity is becoming more entrenched.
He criticised the federal government’s recurring responses to such tragedies, arguing that official condemnations and promises of justice have failed to produce meaningful deterrence.
According to him, the administration’s approach has become predictable and ineffective, with authorities often issuing statements after attacks rather than preventing them. He said this pattern gives citizens little reassurance as violent incidents continue.
Atiku further argued that the growing frequency of kidnappings and assaults on rural communities indicates that armed groups are increasingly emboldened. He maintained that the inability of the state to decisively stop such attacks raises questions about the strength of Nigeria’s security architecture.
He described the Ogbomoso abduction and the killings in Katsina as part of a broader national security challenge, rather than isolated events, warning that communities are gradually losing confidence in the government’s capacity to protect lives.
The former Vice President also questioned the value of repeated official assurances to families of victims, saying such statements offer little comfort to those directly affected by the violence.
He expressed concern over reports suggesting that authorities may be attempting to limit public access to graphic evidence of attacks, describing such actions—if true—as deeply troubling and counterproductive.
Atiku insisted that a government unable to safeguard its citizens but allegedly focused on managing public perception of violence risks losing moral legitimacy. He argued that the priority should be preventing attacks rather than controlling narratives after they occur.
He described the current situation as both a security and leadership crisis, urging urgent reforms to strengthen the country’s response mechanisms.
Atiku therefore called for swift efforts to secure the release of all abducted victims in Oyo State, improved protection for vulnerable communities, and a comprehensive review of Nigeria’s security strategy to address the escalating wave of violence.